Change font size   Print view

What are you reading right now?

If you've had an especially good (or bad!) experience with a surf product or service (i.e. surfboard, wetsuit, surf camp, shaper, video, etc), share your opinion with the rest of us. Nobody really cares, but knock yourself out. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, nm

What are you reading right now?

Postby gills » Thu May 25, 2006 10:27 am

I'm kind of a book slut and tend to read more than one at once. Here's what's going right now-

Blindness, by Jose Saramago. Diggin it. Very fluid style.
Starvation Heights, by Gregg Olsen. True Crime about a woman named Linda Hazzard circa 1911 who operated a sanitorum in Olalla, Puget Sound. She advocated that all diseases were diet based and prescribed fasting as a means to cure. She often starved her wealthy patients to death to fun her work. Creepy.
The Assassins, by Bernard Lewis. A history of a radical sect of Islam, in the 11th and 12th centuries known for high profile public executions of their enemies (mostly sunnis). Suppossedly these are the first 'terrrorists' or agents using terrorism for political gain. Super interesting when compared to the modern suicide bomber.
gills

Postby nm » Thu May 25, 2006 11:04 am

Funny gills......I'm a book whore as well...always have at least three going at one time.

The Cave - Jose Saramago
Dora - you all know the one
One of Jimmy Carter's books.....(the name escapes me)
100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (although....I just found out it made Oprah's list....so I may have to abandon it.)

Just finished Useless - Carol Shields
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby gills » Thu May 25, 2006 11:11 am

nmm wrote:Funny gills......I'm a book whore as well...always have at least three going at one time.

The Cave - Jose Saramago
Dora - you all know the one
One of Jimmy Carter's books.....(the name escapes me)
100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (although....I just found out it made Oprah's list....so I may have to abandon it.)

Just finished Useless - Carol Shields

Don't let Oprah kick you out of that book. It's great. I loved it.
gills

Postby Spider » Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 am

dora
catfish and mandala - andrew x. pham about a vietnamese american on a bike voyage to vietnam
the namesake - jumpa lahiri
you are being lied to- russ kick about rampant disinformation
Spider
I tube ride side saddle

Postby nm » Thu May 25, 2006 11:58 am

Question to you gills................who translated Blindness?

'Cuz.....I'm not finding The Cave to be very fluid.....at least not yet. Of course, I'm only a third of the way into it. (Don't get me wrong.......I'm enjoying the book.........but you can tell it's a translation......if you know what I mean.)
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Thu May 25, 2006 1:31 pm

Feeling the Shoulders of the Lion - Rumi.

The Urge to Travel Great Distances - Robert Bly

Sonnets - Shakespeare

Anarchist's Cookbook - unknown

How to Dispose of a Dead Body - unknown.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby gills » Thu May 25, 2006 2:02 pm

nmm wrote:Question to you gills................who translated Blindness?

'Cuz.....I'm not finding The Cave to be very fluid.....at least not yet. Of course, I'm only a third of the way into it. (Don't get me wrong.......I'm enjoying the book.........but you can tell it's a translation......if you know what I mean.)

madame: it be translated by Giovanni Pontiero, I think the Cave is translated by an in house person. Saramago has a choppy style actually, incorporating his dialogue into the prose without punctuation seperation etc... and I find it to be more like my thought process so I find fluid. Others might not. But also, he got the Nobel for this one so I'm sure the publishers were keen on getting a good translation.
gills

Postby thurgood jenkins » Thu May 25, 2006 2:07 pm

I need some good books to read and not this bs fiction shite.
So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Stewie Griffin
thurgood jenkins
flotsam

Postby Stiffler » Thu May 25, 2006 2:09 pm

'Hondo, My Father', Becky Crouch Patterson

"Pearl Harbor Ghosts", Thurston Clarke

Trim. Anslow et al
Stiffler

Postby gills » Thu May 25, 2006 2:50 pm

stiffler wrote:
Trim. Anslow et al

Just finished that one myself. A good read, a good read.
gills

Postby Stiffler » Thu May 25, 2006 2:52 pm

im hoping to be a contributor on the next issue.
Stiffler

Postby Dano » Thu May 25, 2006 3:20 pm

I just read The Kite Runner which was pretty solid and am now, against my better judgement (figuring that if mainstream America - people who watch Reality TV and care that Split-knee Spears dropped her baby - liked it I sure as hell wouldn't), reading The Da Vinci Code. It is every bit as pulpy and contrived as I imagined which makes for good entertainment, but I still fail to see what all the fuss was about. I hear the movie sucks.
humbled!
Dano
leashless is no way to go through life

Postby Foulweather » Thu May 25, 2006 3:52 pm

'Maximum City' by Suketu Mehta. Sort of a cultural history of Bombay (Mumbai)

'Against The MegaMachine: Essays on Empire and its Enemies' by David Watson. A collection of anti-civilization/ technology essays.

NMM please, please don't abandon '100 years of Solitude.' A stunning book.

If you enjoy it check out Ben Okri's 'The Famished Road' for more magic realism.
Foulweather

Postby gills » Fri May 26, 2006 7:53 am

Foulweather wrote:If you enjoy it check out Ben Okri's 'The Famished Road' for more magic realism.

ANd also, Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami--- not quite magical realism exactly, but an elaboration of it.
gills

Postby Stiffler » Fri May 26, 2006 8:10 am

actually, Im reading the surfpage right now, in the same way that I read the shampoo bottle while sitting on the pot.
Stiffler

Next

Return to Consumer Reports (Boring)