Change font size   Print view

New Car poll

Yes, this is a surfpage, but many of us like to discuss non-surf related issues amongst fellow surfers. Here's the place to do it. Registration is required.

Moderators: wanty, Tex

New Car question

Volvo Wagon
67%
Subaru Wagon
33%

Total votes : 9

New Car poll

Postby clint jones » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:26 am

I'm looking to get a new car...well new to me. I'm trying to talk myself into an 07 Subaru Legacy Wagon, but I could also get a couple year old Volvo Wagon. The problem is that Subaru's are kinda hippy-chick cars and Volvo's are kinda old people's cars.

So the question is, of these 2 cars, which one has more style and would you buy it?
clint jones
surfing improved my love life

Postby nm » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:28 am

Which Volvo wagon? The V70 R ........is not an old folks car. (check the hp) And....look past the fact that it's made by ford.

And....

Why are you limiting yourself to only those two choices? There are so many wagons out there......
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby brdsurf » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:35 am

Volvo old peoples cars?!
Hmmm, you know there was a test of one of the wagons, the acceleration from 40 to 80 was like 4.5 seconds or something. Much faster than most porsche models on the market was the comparision it gave. Let alone the fact that although they are made by ford there now, they are still disigned with saftey as a main concern and one of the tests is how well they take a moose over the hood. The V70s that I have driven here have been great handling and really comfy.
But I am biased for the heritage factor.
Saftey though is nothing to scoff at either.
"I have to overcome that safety mechanism that wants to rise up in me and to keep me from doing something that could kill me."
"Everything’s okay until it isn’t."
brdsurf
straight.......like a boomerang

Postby Nasty » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:57 am

Having owned both, I would go with the Volvo. Either way you can't go wrong.
Nasty

Postby stinkbug » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:10 pm

I just got a Volvo xc-70 wagon.

The boys at work wanted to know if it came with a matching skirt.

Fekk 'em, tho, I like it.
stinkbug
shorepounder

Postby kevinfromseattle » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:37 pm

get a sedan, they always look way better than wagons

the older s70's have a classic volvo look and will only get cooler with age
kevinfromseattle

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:47 pm

How about retrieving your balls from whoever's purse they are residing in and get yourself a truck?
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby Nasty » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:50 pm

There is nothing as core as riding around in a pick up truck, preferably a 4x4.... while listening to the cure.
Nasty

Postby Honey » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:57 pm

Volvo will give you more interior space then Subaru and I believe they look better. Subaru will always look like a cheap knock off to me, volvo holds class.

But like Nmm asked, why these choices?

Have you checked out the Audi Q7?
Honey

Postby Down The Line » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:18 pm

Test drove the Audi Q7 last weekend. Nice. My wife wants one. Gotta go with the twenties though.
triple hopped .
Down The Line
my board is in drydock

Postby nm » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:19 pm

Wagons I test drove....when I was in the market....

VW - Passat & Jetta
Audi - A4 & A6
Volvo - V40 & V70
Mercedes - C class
BMW - 3 & 5 series

I didn't test drive any subarus, saabs, or hondas.

Unless you're hellbent on the subee or volvo........do your research.
nm
somebody call my lawyer

Postby tail first drop » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:23 pm

Our 740 has 236k on her, never had the head off and its never left us on the side of the road...
You can sleep in a Volvo, not so much in a Subi...

Of course, any one dropping 30k on a car can afford a hotel room...
tail first drop

Postby kevinfromseattle » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:38 pm

if you are in the price range where you are looking at audi 4x4's get the lexus RX. it is really a quality vehicle that is well thought out and engineered
kevinfromseattle

Postby Wilbur Kookmeyer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Nasty, it is not my bitchin truck or my incredible taste in music that makes me core!TM

If you truly intend on keeping your balls in your woman's purse and getting a wagon, seriously look inot the Jetta Wagon. However, stay away from the Turbo. Quite possibly one of the worst engines ever made. However, the price of the Jetta Wagon is something to consider. You get a lot for your money.
Your electric car runs on coal. Think about it....
Wilbur Kookmeyer
full of bull kelp.

Postby clint jones » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Thanks everybody,

So I've "narrowed" it to, not "limited" it to these 2. The Volvo V70 in the 2002-2004 range or a 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i. It's in the sub $25K range. The reasons are many.

First of all, I'm a surfer who takes more than 1 board with him, so it's either a van or a wagon for me. Sedans are not an option. And when I said Volvo's are old people's cars, I didn't mean performance wise. The V70r is a sleeper and can outperform lots of cars on the road. But it still doesn't look like a sex machine like a Porsche. For your info, you lose about 60hp with the automatic V70r. And I'm really getting lazy because I will only buy automatic from now on.

Both the V70 and the Subaru get nearly 30 mpg and can store a longboard while I'm on the short board. They have some style. I'm a single guy and neither are a form of birth control like a Pontiac Aztek or Prius would be.

I'm not into pickups. I think they are pointless unless your hauling debris, which I don't. My old Yukon Denali got better gas mileage, was more comfy, and I could sleep in it. Sleeping in the back of a pickup is also one of my least favorite forms of camping for some reason. Not sure why, but I hate sleeping in the bed under even a canopy. But mainly I just don't want to get that crappy mileage anymore. So I guess my junk stays in some purse somewhere.

Audi's are too expensive for me.

Had a VW before. Not really into them since I'm a hetero male.

Toyota FJ thing is kinda growing on me, but it gets crappy mileage and it can't stow a 9'0" while I'm on the 6'6". Plus it's over $30K. The 4 Runner, Sequoia, etc all get bad mileage.

I would never buy a bottom of the barrel Mercedes. I'm fortunate enough to drive 4 of the top of the line Mercedes almost every day for one of my jobs (S55 AMG, G500, ML55, SL500). I know the cost of upkeep for those, and I sure as hell couldn't afford it unless I meet my sugermama.

So there's a bit of my thoughts, simplified.
clint jones
surfing improved my love life

Next

Return to Things That Don't Matter (What the OSP is really about)